Sunday, July 10, 2011

danielle's vegan comfort food v.1

    You could say I'm pretty much in love with being vegan, but that wasn't always the case. I used to think going vegan was stupid because all you would get to eat is greens all day long and that would be super boring, then I started working at a vegan cafe and I realized I was a big dummy for thinking being vegan was nothing less than a party. Having a kitchen filled with tonnes of ingredients that were completely animal bi-product free to use at my will really showed me that by swapping out a couple ingredients I could make almost anything vegan.
    ONE CATCH! I am a girl who looooves her comfort foods. I can get down on an avocado chickpea salad with a light lime dressing now and again, but I LOVE filling, satisfying food that doesn't make me feel like I'm missing out on the good stuff by being vegan. When I was a kid my favorite food was my mom's homemade sheppard's pie, so it's fitting that I share my vegan-ized version.

What you’ll need:

-6 large potatoes (sweet potatoes work really great too, they're actually what I prefer)
-1Cup soy or almond milk
-1Tablespoon vegan margarine
-3Cups TVP
-1 onion
-3 seasoning cubes
-Bisto gravy mix
-2Cups frozen peas
-2Cups frozen corn


1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
2) Peel and cube your potatoes, you’ll make life easier if you cube them small to help them cook faster. Throw (not literally) potatoes into boiling water and cook until soft.
3) Use a hand mixer to mash potatoes, adding milk alternative, margarine, and a bit of salt to taste. Set mash aside.
4) Using a medium sized pot, add a little bit of oil and fry thinly sliced onion until transparent. Add 1 1/2C  water and seasoning cubes
Being vegan usually means you no longer get to use beef bullion cubes, I haven’t found a vegan version yet. I’m personally not a fan of most vegetable bullion cubes so whenever I’m seasoning a meat alternative I use onion seasoning cubes, they’re an awesome way to season TVP!
TVP is short for Textured Vegetable Protein. It can usually be found in the bulk section of any health food store. It looks like dehydrated ground beef and when rehydrated it makes an awesome meat alternative. TVP is what Yves Veggie Ground Round is made of, I prefer buying TVP in it's dried state because you can season it however you want, you can make it as firm or soft as you want, and it's way cheaper!

After cubes dissolve add TVP. TVP will rehydrate. Fluff with a fork to make sure it keeps it’s shape and doesn’t just turn into mush.
5) In a small cup make your gravy mix using the directions, the gravy is optional but It makes the TVP really yummy and makes the sheppard's pie a lot like the real thing. Add to TVP mix and let thicken.
6) Break out your largest casserole dish, line with TVP/onion mix, add layer of frozen corn, add layer of frozen peas.
7)using a large spoon, cover everything with your mash
8) Preheat oven to 375*F, pop pie into the oven and bake until mash starts to brown

VOILA! Step 9? Put in face.

serves about 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hullo there, pal. Thanks for taking the time to comment on this blog post, you're the best!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...