Friday, February 3, 2012

Cashew Alfredo Sauce

Made by me, recipe from Vegansaurus!

Ingredients
Heaping 2/3 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 1/4 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
About 2 Tbsp. olive oil, for sauteing
1 small yellow or white onion, finely chopped
4 to 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 Tbsp. salt
3 scant Tbsp. nutritional yeast (large flakes)
1 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. coconut aminos, Braggs, or soy sauce 
Instructions
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Boil your cashews until they are soft. I boil mine on medium heat, it takes about 20 minutes. This will give you about 2 cups “soaked” cashews. Make sure you rinse the cashews before using them.
To make the cashew cream, I blend my cashews and 1 1/4 cup water to make 2 cups of cream. Your sauce may come out a little chunky, but some people like texture, right?
While your cashews are boiling, you can start sauteing the other ingredients.
On medium heat, saute your chopped onion in olive oil. Next, add your chopped garlic and cook a couple of minutes, until fragrant. It’s important you do not let the garlic brown, as it becomes bitter. Add all your spices (salt, pepper, nutmeg, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast) and cook on medium-low heat for about three minutes, constantly turning the mixture with a spatula, as you don’t want it to burn, or the garlic to brown. 
Now add the lemon juice. Cook until it’s hot, about a minute or two. If you haven’t made the cashew cream, do that. Then add your sauteed mixture to blender or food processor and blend until smooth! Taste. I like the seasoning mix I came up with, but we all have different palates. Do you like a cheesier flavor? More nutritional yeast! Not salty enough? Have at it! Adjust to your liking.

Now prepare your noodles and your extras. I added carrot, spinach, and asparagus. Mix everything together and bake.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Nom nom sounds good and looks good will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMM! This is vegan? I will have to try out this recipe. It looks so good! Your etsy shop is cute! I love the snitch! Do you make bow ties for guys? I don't see it in your shop, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Hullo there, pal. Thanks for taking the time to comment on this blog post, you're the best!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...